Thursday 12 April 2012

Driving? Check!

While home for Easter I had another opportunity to drive. Not just on the back roads or in a parking lot this time but actual driving around. One afternoon I drove my mom and I around town to complete a couple errands. I honestly don't have anything significant to say about the experience. It wasn't difficult and felt so natural I'm tempted to say it was an insignificant event. However, the simple fact that it was so normal and uneventful actually makes it significant.

Seeing how driving around town was such a success, true to my usual perseverance I wanted to take it to the next level. Heading back to my apartment at the end of the weekend I actually drove part way. I drove for nearly an hour, not quite half way back, before switching seats with my mom. I even drove on the 400 (a major highway) so I did get up to 100km/h, or maybe even a little more. If I wanted to I'm sure I could have driven even longer. There was just no reason to push it. I still can't sit for too long without changing positions and this is what will limit how long I can handle driving for.

I felt quite comfortable and relaxed behind the wheel and for the most part I drove with one had, which is pretty normal for me. I did notice, and it wasn't a choice I had consciously made, that I had my other hand resting on my leg just above my right knee. Although it wasn't doing anything or helping in anyway, I think it was comforting in a way to have it there. My hand was "at the ready" if for some reason I did need to act quickly and needed a little extra help moving my leg. Don't read this though and think "maybe you shouldn't be driving than". Even when I'm sitting in a chair or on the coach, my right hand is almost always lightly hanging onto or resting on my right leg. I think it's a bit of a protective mechanism leftover from the early stages post-op. For several months I did need to use my hand to help move my right leg for most actions and even just to keep it from falling over to one side or the other. I was also on constant alert and was very protective of the leg, worried that something or someone was going to bump into it. It was necessary for a while but now it's more of a habit that stuck.

Needless to say, I believe I can put a big check mark beside "learning to drive again"!

1 comment: