Tuesday 19 June 2012

Batter Up

My co-workers entered a team in a softball tournament this past weekend. It was by no means an experienced team. A handful play regularly or often enough but literally half of those willing to play had never played before. A couple didn't even know most of the rules, just the most basic.

I would have loved to join them but being on crutches makes that very difficult. It was a beautiful day though and I had said I would try to come along for support, so I went. After sitting on the sidelines cheering them on for a couple games, I wanted to play. Obviously I couldn't do everything. Or more accurately, most things. However, I was itching to try batting at least. I'm not sure what made me believe I could do this seeing I hadn't played baseball since elementary school gym class but I wanted to try. I figured I could bat and someone else could run for me. I do believe, technically, you have to at least run to first base before you can substitute in a pinch runner. But who's going to deny the girl on crutches a chance to hit.

Just before our last game I proposed the idea to the team. Everyone seemed on board. I did want to try it quickly before the game started to see if it was even possible though. Could I even swing while balancing without my crutches? After successfully making contact with the ball on the second try, everyone was like "you're in!" We were first up to bat and it was decided I would go first.

The look on the other team's faces was priceless as I "crutched" up to the plate. You could tell they were confused and trying to figure out how this was going to work. Once in place I traded my crutches in for a bat. I managed to get a hit and the girl running for me got on base. She went on to score a run as well. After all the excitement of me actually getting a hit and of her getting on base, someone eventually realised "oh ya, Jen can't move until we bring her back her crutches."

I went up to bat 3 times and got a hit each time. The girl running for me loved it. All day she had been striking out when she went up to bat. She said our arrangement was perfect, not only did she get to run now but it was without the pressure of having to bat.

I didn't think of it the first time but I was sure to get a video of me batting the next time up.

No comments:

Post a Comment