Thursday 14 June 2012

It Takes Guts

The day following Relay For Life, I participated in the Gutsy Walk for Crohn's and Colitis. This is the 5th year in a row my girlfriends and I have participated. Money raised goes to the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of Canada and in turn goes towards research to finding a cure. I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease 9.5 years ago and there is still no know cause or cure.

Our team was faced by a couple challenges that day. Not only was it extremely hot that day, but I'm on crutches and one of my friends is pregnant. At least the 4 of us that had done Relay For Life weren't still really tired from that. Later when I posted a photo of our team at the finish line, this is the caption I wrote to go along with it, "5km, 32 degrees out, crutches, 7 months pregnant but we made it!!!" It really sums up the day.

This year I raised $3,000 and as a team we raised over $4,000. Since the very beginning our team name has been "J Walkers". This year we decided to go ahead and make team t-shirts. "J Walkers" was written across the front and on the back "Walking In All Directions To Find A Cure." They turned out really well and we looked great as a team.

I've jokingly said to my friends, "I promise not to get any more diseases so we don't have to add another fundraiser to our list." I really hope I can keep this promise. I know we'll all be extremely happy if I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment