Friday 6 July 2012

Best Anniversary Ever

You don't need me to summarize the last year for you. It's laid out right here in the last 92 blog posts. There have been high points and low points and oh so man firsts.

... Or at least this is what I thought I would write leading up to today. That is until I went to physio.

Today is the one year anniversary of my surgery. It has also been an entire year with scans clear of any signs of cancer!!! If that's not an anniversary to celebrate, I don't know what is. I was already in a fantastic mood heading to physio but leave it to them to make my day even better. They had cake and flowers and a "Congrats" balloon for me. The cake even had a #1 candle on it. I felt so special. Everyone was so excited and happy for me. I've been going to the clinic for 9 months now, usually 5 times a week, and I've become close with most of the staff there. They've been first hand witnesses to some of my greatest struggles. And to the biggest accomplishments as well.

After all the excitement, congratulations, hugs, and pictures, we got down to work. I was there for physio after all.

They say even the longest journey begins with a single step. Mine has been leading up to one. With every day, every exercise, every progression, every set back, the thought of taking a single step without crutches or a cane has always been in the back of my mind. Early on in my session today I was able to do the stairs without any assistive device. I held on to the railing but that was it. This was huge! My current as well as original physio were both there for it and we were all so excited. Especially as it was just one week prior that I tried the stairs with a cane for the first time. This day literally just kept getting better. And it wasn't over yet.

As I was standing in the hall with my cane, my original physio was encouraging me to try taking a step without it. She was excited because I had just done so well on the stairs and was sure I could take a step. I tried a couple times but would end up leaning on my cane or not be able to get my left foot off the ground. It seemed like I wasn't there yet. Close but not quite. So my current physio and I continued with other exercises.

After showing more improvement on the things we were working on, she too thought I should try walking without my cane. Cane in hand, attempting not to put weight into it, I gave it another try. This time it appeared like it may actually be possible. We went into the hall for more space and got ready to give it a real try. Wait! I needed to call my original physio over to see. I knew she'd want to see it. I'd hate to be successful and for her to miss it, especially if she was just down the hall.

So with both physios watching, one close by to grab me just in case the attempt was less than successful, I gave it a real try. Like so many new things I attempt, it's just as much a mental challenge as it is a physical one. Here we go... lean cane against the wall... transfer some weight onto the right leg... a little more... pause until I feel stable... deep breath... step forward with left leg (easier said than done)... Oh my gosh, I did it! ... Okay, let's take another step...Wow, I can't believe this is actually happening right now... Take another step.

Obviously we took a video. These were my very first steps in a year. Not the type of moment we'd want to miss. First steps can only happen once. This is just the beginning though. If it's possible, I think I'm even more determined to walk without crutches or a cane now.

It felt really weird to be walking and have both hands free. I've had to use my arms, or at least one, for every single step I've taken over the last year. I don't think I've ever been happier. I couldn't sit still for the rest of the night. Without a doubt, that is a moment I will never forget! The fact that it happened on my one year anniversary just made it that much sweeter!

1 comment: