Friday 23 December 2011

First Hair Cut

It's been about 6 and a half months since my last chemo treatment and slowly but surely my hair has been growing back. There was a brief period when I thought I had a chance of it growing back straight but it wasn't long before it was obvious it would grow back curly/wavy just as it was before treatment. In the last couple weeks it went from being similar to a pixie cut to more of a shaggy look but not quite because it has a very distinct curl to it. I decided it was definitely time to get it cut. Not to make it shorter (because I do want to grow it out, I've always had long hair) but to style it. Then as a surprise / Christmas present, a friend of mine told me she wanted to take me to get my hair done. Yay!

I didn't really have a plan or preference of what I should have done. I knew I wanted the back and sides cut shorter, giving the top a chance to grow out more. And we agreed that I should do something really different from my usual hair. I'm lucky in the fact that I get to experience my hair at every length possible, a chance not many woman get or are daring enough to take, so why not take advantage of it and try different styles. Never having hair this short before, I really didn't know what would look best but figured I would just ask the hairdresser what he/she suggested and go with it.

I'm not sure who was more excited about me getting my hair done, me or my friend, which made it really fun. I was so excited leading up to getting it cut, yet nervous at the same time. I was really excited to be doing something with my hair and trying a new look but the idea of cutting my hair after waiting months for it to grow was kind of scary. The one thing that made it easier was not having any real specific expectations for how it would look when it was done.

How did it turn out? I'm very happy with the cut. I think the only thing I'd want to change about it is I'd like the bangs to be a little longer. But seeing they didn't touch the front of my hair, other than to even it out a bit, that isn't something that could have been changed. I'll just have to wait for it to grow some more. I dyed my hair as well because why not. I'm not 100% used to it just yet but I do like it. It's definitely different and that was the point. My absolute favourite part about my new look, whether it suits me or not, is that it was my choice. For the first time in over a year I actually had a say in what may hair looks like and it's surprising how great that feels.

No comments:

Post a Comment