Thursday 22 December 2011

Physio: 50 Visits and Counting

I've been going to physio for 10 weeks now and am extremely pleased with my progress. If you had asked me 2+ months ago how far along I thought I'd be in my recovery by this time, I definitely would have underestimated. It's kind of surprising considering I continue to set high expectation for myself. Sometimes even including the occasional goal that seems unattainable in the opinion of those around me (not that anyone ever comes right out and says it, but you can tell they're thinking it). Since having my surgery though, I've been surpassing the expectations of everyone around me, from my doctors and physiotherapists (both while in the hospital and now out), to family and friends. It's very satisfying to have surpassed even my own expectations. There are some days when I question some of the goals I have set for myself but having both long and short term goals is what keeps me motivated and focused on working towards a more functional future. The support and encouragement I've received from friends, family, and medical professionals has been wonderful and keeps me positive and setting new goals.

I consider myself extremely lucky to have found such an amazing clinic to go to for my physiotherapy. I really couldn't be happier with my physiotherapist. No seriously, I don't think it'd be possible for me to be any happier! But it's not just her I'm thankful for. I also work with a great woman there doing rehabilitative pilates. She's really focused on correcting and preventing any problems I may have with my spine as a result of missing half my pelvis as well as what may come from being on crutches for an extended period of time. As an added bonus, everyone at the clinic is extremely friendly and makes every one of my visits enjoyable. This may seem like a minor thing but in reality it makes a big difference. It means I look forward to going in for each appointment and not just because I'll be furthering my progress but because I enjoy seeing everyone when I go. Staying committed to a daily physio visit could have been really hard but there hasn't been a day in 50 visits when I dreaded going. My physiotherapist and I realised early on, we were really lucky that we got along so well and liked each other because spending an hour a day, every day, with someone you're not too keen on would surely be less than desirable.

I've mentioned before, periodically we take videos of some of the things I do at physio. Being my 50th physio appointment we thought it would be a great day to shoot several videos highlighting the progress I've made so far. I put the video on my YouTube channel the next morning and in 24 hours had over 100 views (nearly 150 views in just 30 hours), a new record for any of my videos in such a short time. If you would like to see the video, check out Jen Physio - 50 Visits Later. There are 14 other videos tracking my progress over the past 10 weeks here as well and I will continue to post videos of my progress as I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment