Saturday 24 December 2011

A Much Better Christmas Eve

My family never has any big plans for Christmas Eve and this year is no different. The one thing that has changed for us this year is I believe everyone is just a little more appreciative of the low key day. This time last year I was in the hospital, waiting for a blood transfusion and really hoping my doctor would change his mind and agree to let me go home. A couple days earlier I had been hospitalized for febrile neutropenia, a fever with an abnormally low number of white blood cells (aka a fever after chemo), just 4 days after getting out of the hospital from my last chemo treatment. Not having any white blood cells to fight off / protect me from whatever had caused the fever, they really didn't want to discharge me.

Yes, I was the one stuck in the hospital but it wasn't just me who was effected by this. My mom had spent the last couple days trying to plan out how to have Christmas dinner in the hospital. Figuring out what she could make in advance and what could be made there using just a microwave and a kettle. My Dad had spent most of the day in the hospital with me instead of doing last minute shopping like he normally would the day before Christmas. Add to this, he had to wear a mask and gown the whole time because I was in reverse isolation. My brother and sister had to do the same when they came to visit as well.

Lucky for me, my doctor did reluctantly let me go home late in the evening Christmas Eve. I had to have the blood transfusion and I had to agree to come back in for a blood test in a couple days. There was also a good chance he would admit me back in to the hospital after that blood test. All of this was ok by me if it meant I could go home for Christmas.

It wasn't fun but it definitely could have been worse. At least I got out in time for Christmas! Simply being at home this Christmas Eve and not in the hospital is one thing I'm not taking for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment