Saturday 8 October 2011

One is the Loneliest Number

... or is it?

I've been officially on my own since Tuesday at approximately 9-10pm. This made Wednesday the first day in 3 months that I was completely alone. I woke up that morning in such a good mood. It felt fantastic to be back in my own apartment. To have slept in my own bed. To just be on my own. I had time in the morning to eat my breakfast and slowly wake up without anyone trying to strike up a conversation. Too bad this feeling only lasted for a couple hours.

Part of my typically morning routine involves checking my email or going online for some other reason. Unfortunately my internet had not worked since I arrived on Monday, so no email today. I flipped channels on TV for a while and sorted through all my junk mail, little things to keep me busy. It wasn't long before I found myself bored. I had no one to talk to and no internet to communicate with friends. It was the middle of the day so I couldn't even call anyone because I'd be bugging them at work. I started wondering whether this had been a good idea. Maybe I should have stayed at my parents longer?! Maybe I wasn't ready to move back?! What if I needed to move home again in a couple days? All things I really didn't want to believe or consider. I had my answer just a couple hours later.

"Eat yet?" - text from my Dad

ggrrrrr! Yes I had eaten, both breakfast and lunch. I was even considering having another small meal in an hour or so and it was only 1:39pm. My answer was followed by yet another text of questions. I was reminded of how happy I was to be back in my own place and was now anything but lonely.

The following day, Thursday, I received a phone call from my mom around noon. "Just checking in."

Last night, Friday, I got an email from my Dad asking about physio. All in good fun, with a hint of seriousness, this was my response.
"So texts Wednesday. Phone Thursday. Email Friday. Should I expect a telegram or messenger pigeon tomorrow? I'll keep the window open for him."

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the concern. It'd just be nice if my life could go back to normal with the flick of a switch. I'm sure it's going to take a lot more time and adjustment for everyone involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment