Wednesday 19 October 2011

Today is My January 1st

I woke up this morning and realized, this is the start of a new year for me. After October 18th last year, almost everything I did or missed out on doing was a direct or indirect result of being diagnosed with cancer. By no means will this coming year be an easy one, there's still the minor detail of learning to walk again, but it's bound to be better than the last. For starters, although it's not medically correct to say it, I'm now cancer free. All scans/tests done since my surgery, including ones done just two weeks ago, have been clear of any signs of the disease. Add to this, I've already begun physiotherapy. That alone seemed so far away when I was lying in the hospital 3 months ago. Finally seeing that the recovery process is under way and I'm headed in the right direction has made it much easier to picture a positive future and outcome.

Much of the last year was a rollercoaster of health. I took a beating with each and every round of chemo, effecting my energy, weight, and overall feeling. Then there was always another solid week of unpleasant side effects to get through. Thankfully there was usually a couple days, up to a week, before the next treatment when I felt a little stronger, ate a little more and felt a little more like myself. But the next round was always just around the corner, ready to kick me back down. Surgery was a similar situation.

What I'm looking forward to most about this new year is the progression, both in my everyday life and at physio. There's no doubt I'll face some challenges, big and small, but that just means I'm trying something new or pushing to the next level. There will be a lot of trial and error involved with much of my rehabilitation but my overall outlook for this year is one of improvement. As far as walking is concerned, it can only get better from here.

This year will likely have just as many memorable moments as last but I hope they are memorable for reasons of accomplishment and celebration. With each new day I plan to, literally, take another step in the right direction. Ultimately heading towards a full recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment