Friday 25 November 2011

Budget Buster

It looks like this Christmas is going to end up costing me a lot more than usual.

I started some of my shopping last week and before I even left for the mall I realised I'd only really be able to buy one or two presents/items at a time, depending on their size and weight. Not being able to carry bags in my hands definitely limits what I can buy. I could always get someone to come shopping with me and carry my stuff but I prefer to go during the week/day, when it's less busy, and all of my friends are at work then. So solo shopping it is. On the upside, it gives me a reason to get out / a destination to venture to more often.

Unfortunately, I have this bad habit of buying myself something whenever I go Christmas shopping. In the past this hasn't been a big deal. I usually try to get my shopping done all in one or two big trips, so a present or two for myself isn't all that bad. The problem this year is there will be many more trips needed to finish all my shopping. So far I've purchased two presents for others and what do you know, I've bought myself something each trip. If I continue in this fashion it's going to be pretty painful on my wallet.

I don't feel too bad about buying myself a couple things and have found it really easy to justify. For starters, I haven't done much, if any, shopping the last 13+ months. I didn't even do my own Christmas shopping last year. My aunt was nice enough to volunteer to take my shopping list / gift ideas and do all the shopping for me. Lets face it, I was in no shape to be walking around the malls last December. So it has been nice getting out and doing my own shopping this year. I enjoy buying gifts for others and love that feeling you get when you think you've found the perfect present for someone else.

Hopefully I can keep my personal spending to a minimum. If not, maybe I owe myself a gift or two anyway. At least that's what I'll end up telling myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment