Saturday 5 November 2011

Ok, I Might Be Stubborn

My TV stand broke the day before my surgery. It was on wheels and the back two wheels basically broke off. So picture the stand tilted backwards and my TV looking very unstable in this position. I had nothing  to use as a substitute other than my dehumidifier. I've been a little preoccupied the past 4 months and didn't have a chance to pick out / purchase a new stand until now. I had the stand delivered to my door because frankly, trying to carry it home from the store seemed like a ridiculous idea and not worth saving $12. It arrived today so I'm very happy. I've waited long enough, TV perched on the dehumidifier, I wanted to get it put together as soon as possible. I like to do things for myself or at least make an attempt and crutches or no crutches that's something that will never change.

I'd be lying if I said it was easy to assemble. But not because the instructions were complicated or anything like that. For starters, the product weighed 50lbs, so even the individual boards were a fair weight. It became an added challenge having to do everything from a seated position (mostly on the floor) and not being able to stand up to put any of the pieces together. It took me much longer than any furniture assembly should take but I did it.

Next problem, getting the stand into place and moving my TV. This seemed like a bit of a daunting task so I started with something easier. I moved all the little things from my old stand, like DVD player and game console, to the new one. Easy enough. I didn't have any great difficulty moving the stand into place either. The only thing left was to actually transfer the TV. It wouldn't have been so bad if the new stand and dehumidifier were the same height but the stand is about 6" taller. To visualize the challenge, just picture trying to lift your TV up and over while standing on just your left foot. Add to this the very strong desire not to drop the TV. When my first couple attempts to move the TV were clearly unsuccessful, I considered waiting until my boyfriend would be over later and asking him to move it, but I was ssooo close to completing the entire "project" on my own. A couple more failed attempts only made me even more determined. In the end, I did end up moving it. I don't even remember how I managed to do it, I definitely don't want to do it again but I've very happy I was able to do it.

The new TV stand is a little wider than my old one and much wider than the dehumidifier.For this reason, I'm thinking I need to move some of my other furniture around. I'll save that for another day though, I'm kind of tired out.

Dear Mom and Dad,
If you happen to read this post, you can yell at me later for "being stupid" ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment