Wednesday 9 November 2011

Life on Crutches

It's been a month now that I've been back in my own apartment. I couldn't be happier. I haven't needed to make any further modifications to my place other than those my Dad and I made when I first moved back. I've been able to cook, clean, do laundry and all other necessary tasks around my place. That is other than grocery shopping which my boyfriend does for me.

Being on my own for the past month I've been able to get a better feel for "life on crutches". I was already using crutches while at home for 2 month but there were few things I actually HAD to do on my own. There was usually someone around to cook my meal or carry it to the table. I didn't have to do my own laundry (thanks mom) or buy groceries. And I definitely didn't go anywhere alone, I had no way to get anywhere without someone else taking me. So over the past month I've experienced several challenges made difficult particularly because of the crutches but I've also found some pros to having crutches.

Some of the difficulties /cons I've experienced due to crutches include doing my laundry. I actually switch to using a walker, it's the only way I can accomplish this. I have one with a seat on it which I'm able to set my laundry basket on, then I can walk it to the washer/dryer. It takes a lot of energy to get the job done but it's been great knowing I can do it and don't have to ask someone else for help with such an everyday task. As I mentioned above, grocery shopping isn't really a possibility for me. Not being able to carry much of anything really limits the number of items I would be able to purchase. I've talked about the impossible task of carrying an umbrella before and how the world becomes a slippery place for me when it's wet out. I'm nervous for when the snow falls. I don't think walking outside in the snow will be that bad but I'm worried about the ice. The worst part will be that floors in public places seem to stay wet all winter as people track the snow/slush in from outside. Showering has definitely become a more difficult task. I have a shower bench which makes things a lot easier and without which it would be next to impossible. I no longer find the infomercials for those walk in shower tubs as ridiculous. This next con is not something I've tested and I've been good at limiting myself. Going out for drinks just seems like a bad idea. Even with perfect mobility it may be difficult to walk straight after a night out for drinks with the friends. So I think it's best if I don't temp fate. At least for a while.

Now for the oh so important positive side of being on crutches. For starters, getting a seat on the subway is much easier now. There are still those few people who have actually raced me to get a seat first but so far there has always been someone else who will give me theirs. I find that more often than normal, strangers will now hold doors for me. There are many, many, many who don't but it's really nice when someone does. It could be my imagination but I feel like I have received better customer service in many stores. It comes across more of kindness out of pity but they're extra nice non the less. Now if you've ever wanted to decline an invitation to something or leave a party early but didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings, crutches can hep you with that. I honestly haven't used my crutches as an excuse to get out of going somewhere but I have had to declined some invitations because of them. The nice thing is, no one makes you feel guilty for saying no as they may have normally. An added bonus of having crutches, I generally have my choice of where to sit. It doesn't seem to matter where I am, people are always offering to let me choose my seat first, even giving up their own office/desk chair in some situations. I've mentioned this before as well, but getting to use those electric shopping carts in some stores has been pretty fun. I never feel guilty taking the elevator. Even if it is only to go up or down one floor. And last but most definitely not least, I can wear track pants anywhere, anytime and no one will judge me. At least I don't feel like anyone is judging me.

There are definitely some big set backs when it comes to using crutches. Some days it can be frustrating and hard to see past these obstacles but for the most part it's not the worst. Just getting a seat on the subway every time and having an excuse to wear track pants everywhere almost make it worth it. Almost.

No comments:

Post a Comment