Sunday 18 September 2011

Hairdo

It was about 4 weeks ago, while in a Subway restaurant, that I received a compliment on my hair from a complete stranger. It came from this bubbly young girl working behind the counter. She was quite talkative and had been socializing with each and every customer as they went through the line. She said she really liked my hair and how it was very "in" right now. The short cut is becoming a very popular choice and so I did believe that part of what she said. I had trouble believing that my hair look as good as she said though. I have always had long hair and so it's taking some getting used to seeing myself with an extremely short 'cut'. Even if she was being sincere, she was a little too enthusiastic for me to take her word.

Slowly but surely my hair is growing. That's kind of how it works. My hair is now at a length where if you didn't know me you could easily be undecided as to whether I cut it this short or it was growing back. Weeks before now I would have disagreed with this statement. At this point in time I am by no means embarrassed to go out in public without a hat, head scarf or wig. Come to think of it, other than the occasional hat, I don't believe I've worn any of these out since my surgery which is around the time my hair began to grow back. And the hat was usually for sun protection rather than shame. Confidence to go out in public without covering my hair does not however mean I think my current style looks good. Therefore, reassurance from others never hurts.

Just days ago I was at a hair salon, going along with my friend for her wedding hair trial. I am the maid of honour in her wedding next weekend. Before leaving we wanted to make sure we had all the details of our appointment straightened out for the big day. When the girls working at the salon realised I would not be getting my hair done they cautiously asked why. Not bothered by the question in the least, I let them know I actually had a wig to wear.

- Side Note - I bought a wig back in May for two main reasons. (1) To wear to a very close friend's wedding in June. I really didn't want to get all dressed up and have to wear a head scarf. I was completely bald at that time. (2) To wear in the wedding next weekend. At the time I had absolutely no idea whether I would have hair come September and if I did how much I would have. Most of all, being in the wedding party and all of the wedding pictures, I wanted to look my best for my friend the bride. Not that she would care if I came completely bald or wearing a scarf but I wanted her to have pictures she loved. So yes, overall the wig was for weddings but I had coverage for it so I thought, why not.
Ok, back to the story.

Not bothered by the question in the least, I let them know I actually had a wig to wear. All of the girls at once were like, "no no no you can't wear a wig" "don't wear a wig" "no". Then they paused for a moment before saying in their own words, "sorry, I don't mean to say you can't or shouldn't wear a wig. I just think you really don't need to". This led to quite a lengthy discussion on how much they all loved my hair and how it really suited me. By the end of it I was somewhat uncomfortable, flattered but uncomfortable. I'm really not used to getting compliments like that. Don't get me wrong, I left there feeling very good about myself. Like I told the stylists, if I was going to trust anyone's opinion on my hair, it was going to be theirs. They know what they're talking about.

The big question now, "What to do for the wedding?" Wig or no wig??? I've been back and forth a hundred times and am no closer to making a decision. The bride says she would be happy either way and my family have not been much help making the choice. I may have to flip a coin. I'm a little attached to the wig because I have always had long hair and so it seems natural. On the other hand, each day I get more and more used to this length being me. I have 5 days left to make this decision, hopefully I'll be inspired one way or the other between now and Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment