Monday 12 September 2011

Reason to Get Out of Bed

At 26 I am far from the target audience for day time television. I'm not a fan of soap operas and there are few talk shows I'll watch. This does not leave much. I do however have a day time television weakness. I love the Ellen Degeneres Show.

The one great thing about being on sick leave is being home to watch Ellen. If I have to be sick, at least there are some upsides to the situation. Ellen comes on at 10am on the channel I watch on. I know this must not sound very early for those of you getting up and going to work every morning but for me it is. Considering I rarely sleep for longer than 2 hours without waking up, at least briefly, 10am doesn't really feel like sleeping in. This being said, it's helpful to have a reason and some motivation to get myself out of bed each morning. This is where Ellen comes in. Whether it was during the months of chemo treatments, through what seemed like endless hospital stays or now recovering at home from surgery, I always had Ellen to look forward to.

Her positive attitude, kind heart, love of dance, and general desire to help those around her is always refreshing. Her interviews are typically positive and upbeat. You can't watch an entire show without smiling. I dare you. In addition, Ellen often features others on her show who are making a difference in their own community. I can't help but think all of the positivity on her show is contagious. I usually feel a little better after watching her, even if it doesn't last me the entire day.

Today was an exciting day, Season 9 Premier. I've been watching reruns of the show throughout the summer and some mornings it just wasn't enticing enough to lure me out of bed. With new episodes I have that extra push I need to get going in the morning again. It may seem a little silly but I think having a guaranteed way to start my morning on a positive note makes finding the good in my day just a little bit easier.

Welcome back Ellen and thank you for giving me a reason to get out of bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment