Friday 2 September 2011

Electric Shopping Cart, Take Three

As I'm sure you have put together from my title, I had another electric shopping cart experience. It was with the better of the two carts I'd used before and so I was happy to be on the more maneuverable, power level showing, cart.

I had been driving around the store problem free for quite some time already. It was later in the evening and I was getting kind of tired and I started to pay less and less attention to my driving. It's not like the carts go all that fast or are complicated to drive so I didn't think much of it. Just a couple isles left to go. I'm excited that we're almost done. Now I'm heading down the baking isle. All of a sudden I remember that I wanted to make cupcakes for my friend's birthday. I'm cruising along at a steady crawl and show off a little by swiping a can of frosting off the shelf as I scoot by. This was so successful that I figure, why not go for the cupcake box as well.

I never said I was going to make cupcakes from scratch. Betty Crocker is my specialty!

So anyway, back to grabbing the box. I'm continuing on past the rest of the icing, now I'm scanning the boxes for the mix I'm looking to buy. I see it! Just as I grab it, another part of me becomes aware that I am very close to the end of the isle. I look up in that moment and ... there's an end display that is sticking out making the end of the isle about 8 inches narrower than the rest of the isle. Needing to grab the items from a seated position, you can imagine my proximity to the shelf / side of the isle. As soon as I see the display I release my grip on the handle. This cuts the power to the cart but I still have a little momentum. I smack right into the display. Lucky for me I'd slowed to a roll before I hit so nothing fell over or off the shelf.  However, metal on metal, I made quite a bit of noise. I was sure someone must have seen something or at the very least heard something; especially seeing this was an isle directly in front of the cashier check outs. I look up and no one seems to have noticed. Well, no one other than my mother who is beside me literally laughing out loud.

At least it made our grocery trip a little more interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment