Monday 18 July 2011

276 hours

I spent the first 276 hours after waking up from surgery flat on my back or 'sitting up' at a 45 degree angle (with the help of the hospital bed... so for the most part, still lying down). If you've ever spent a day laying on the couch and wished "if only every day was like this" ... take it back! Being on your back and primarily your butt, day in and day out (for 11 days), barely able to move around or readjust = TORTURE!!! My butt has never seen sooooo sore in my life!

I do everything in my bed. Sleep, eat, watch tv, read, stare at the ceiling, wash, even go to the bathroom. It's like a little prison cell. There isn't a whole lot I can do by myself either. I need someone to bring me water, food, things to do and keep me from going crazy. I need someone (actually two people) to help me if I want to roll onto my side for a little bit to give my butt a couple minutes of relief. I need help bathing and changing and going to the bathroom. Even going to sleep requires some assistance. Arranging of pillows, straightening of the sheet. This means everything requires some advanced planning or preparation. Who knew laying in bed was SO difficult.

So the next time you're thinking it would be great if you could just sit or lay around all day, remember... some things are only good in moderation. So enjoy it while it last but then appreciate it when you can get up and get on with everything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment