Thursday 21 July 2011

Tackling the Stairs

At this point, 15 days post-opt, I am able to get in and out of bed / chairs / bathroom without assistance. Naturally, the next thing on my list of things to learn is how to get up and down stairs. That was today's challenge. I'd love to say "oh yes, I climbed a couple flights of stairs this afternoon." But that would be a bit of an exaggeration. In fact, I actually tackled two stairs. That's right, two. The physio team has a make shift set of stairs that consist of two steps and a railing. This way you can learn the basics without the fear of falling down a flight of stairs. Probably a good idea.

Watching my physiotherapist demonstrate how to maneuver the stairs made me a little bit nervous. It looked like it was going to be kind of difficult / awkward. Fortunately it was easier than it looked and the whole things went smoothly. Mind you it was only two stairs up and then two stairs down. The true test will come tomorrow when I give it a try on a full flight of steps.

Still on my list of things to learn to do myself, rolling onto my side. Even though I'm up and about and moving around more, I still spend so much time laying on my back or sitting. At the moment, those are really my only options when I'm not up on crutches. My poor butt needs a break.

No comments:

Post a Comment