Wednesday 27 July 2011

3 Weeks Out

It has been exactly 3 weeks since my surgery. I have been out of the hospital and home now for 3 full days (and part of Sunday). What can I say, it's been amazing. That's not to say I haven't run into some challenges and had to adapt to my new environment but being out the hospital is the best feeling. As different as my life is now, being home makes you feel just a little bit like normal.

According to the original "plan" I'd still have 3 weeks of bed rest to go. I can't even imagine how crazy I'd be going right now if that was the case. Instead I've been home and moving around freely with the help of my crutches. It's funny how such an extreme surgery completely changes the way you measure accomplishments and how the littlest things become huge achievements. Here are just a couple things that I'm really excited or proud to be able to do at this point that would normally go unnoticed...

  • I'm able to get up and down all 17 steps in my house without any help (other than my crutches)
  • I'm getting really good at ripping toilet paper off the roll with just one hand (I need the other hand to support myself so I don't fall off the toilet lol)
  • Can get in and out of the truck with very little assistance. I just need someone to grab/hold my crutches once I'm part way in and no longer need them.
  • Not only am I able to roll onto my left side pretty easily now but I can get onto my stomach as well. And possibly more importantly, I can get back out of this position.
  • I made my own lunch today. Nothing fancy but still needed to get things out and put it together. I still need someone to carry the plate to where ever I'm eating though.

What's next on my list of things to do? Sometime in the next couple days I'm hoping to try out the pool. Haven't completely figured out how I'm going to get myself in and out but I'll figure it out as I go. It's going to be really great to float around and relieve some of the weight and strain on my right side.

No comments:

Post a Comment