Friday 22 July 2011

Keep On Rollin'

Over the past year I have had many memorable moments, some good some bad. Last night may not stack up quite like the others but it was a very positive night for me. I rolled onto my left side by myself. I know, doesn't sound like much but it's actually pretty huge. Every night for the past two weeks I have wished I could just roll over, get more comfortable for sleeping. During the day I can call a nurse to help roll me but it's such a process that I never want to call at night. I'd be wide awake by the time I was actually comfortable on my side.

Last night, during what felt like the millionth restless sleep, I was trying to get comfortable in the middle of the night because I was stiff and my butt was of course sore. No matter what position I moved my leg to or what angle I changed the bed to, I was still uncomfortable. I think frustration more than anything drove me to roll over without assistance. It took a bit of trial and error but I got there. For me this was another big moment, like when I finally bent my knee for the first time. Oh, such a good feeling!

A memorable night followed by yet another memorable day. Today I tackled an entire flight of stairs. All the way up and right back down without faltering. Each and every day I find myself just a little bit closer to regaining my independence.

No comments:

Post a Comment