Tuesday 2 August 2011

Pool Time

The weather so far this summer has been pretty amazing. Very little rain and day after day of hot temperatures. Luckily I thought to check with my doctors before being discharged from the hospital to find out if and when I was allowed to go in the pool. Thankfully they had no problem with the idea, as long as I waited a couple days, and actually agreed that it would probably be good for me.

Two days ago, 25 days after surgery, I got in the pool. I wouldn't go as far as to say I went for a swim but I did get in. It really wasn't that much more difficult than it usually is to get in a pool. I'm one of those people who take forever to get in the water. Who has to get in really slowly and freaks out a little bit with each new body part that gets wet. Using one crutch and the handrail I was easily able to get down to the last step, up to my thighs. The very last step, off the stairs and onto the bottom of the pool, was a bit more intimidating. It was at least a foot and would mean I'd be in up to about my bellybutton. The big difference between walking in and getting in with crutches was having to commit to it. Once I hopped down that last step there would be no jumping back out if it was too cold, it wasn't an option. After some hesitation on my part and the fading patience of those waiting and watching with anticipation, I finally got in.

Once I had my foot on the pool floor I traded in my crutch for a flutter board. Using this as my support I was able to balance where I stood. It didn't take long for me to get a feel for the water and how my right leg functioned in it. It was great to have some of the weight and strain alleviated from my right side. I was able to move around by hopping or shuffling on my left foot.

Time for the real challenge. Could I lay down on the flutter board and "swim" (which by the way is a little bigger and more buoyant than an average public pool flutter board). Each time I began to put my stomach onto the board I was afraid that it wasn't going to hold me above the water or that I was going to roll off it. Eventually I shuffled over to the stairs and 'parked' the board on the top step so that it felt more secure. With this I was able to lay down completely on the board. In this position I was able to do some small kicks. Nothing that would actually make me go anywhere, just simply lowering and raising my leg. After I was done doing some leg exercises we stuck a small piece of a broken pool noodle under my ankles and I floated around the pool on my stomach for a while.

Overall, it was a very successful and relaxing experience. And to think, I'm still suppose to be in the hospital and on bed rest. I don't think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment