Saturday 27 August 2011

Can't Walk? Ride!

For the past 7.5 weeks my mobility has left much to be desired. Actually for that matter, there has been one thing or another keeping me from getting around with ease for the last year. Most recently with my surgery, before that the exhausting side effects of chemo and even prior to that, severe pain for months leading up to a diagnosis. It would be really nice and kind of liberating if I could go where I wanted, how I wanted and at a decent pace. I found a way.

Lucky for me my parents have a 4wheeler. At first thought, this doesn't solve my problem, I wouldn't be able to shift the gears with my right foot. Lucky for me they have an automatic 4wheeler, no shifting required. Yesterday I was feeling the need to get out on my own and more than just a slow lap around the house on my crutches. I got myself ready, went outside, made my way to the 4wheeler, got myself on it and... it won't start. Battery is dead. I was really trying to do this all by myself. I was going to ride by the window and wave and smile with a look that said "see, I can manage some things on my own". Now what? I get my dad to hook up the battery charger and I head back in the house frustrated and a little defeated.

Fast forward a couple of hours. Let's try this again. Back outside. Slowly and methodically back into position on the seat. And... it starts. I'm free! I'm speeding up and down and all around the yard. I feel like I'm 14 again. Before I had a driver's license and the 4wheeler was the closest I could come to driving. The freedom and control to drive at any speed, in which ever direction I chose. What a feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment