Tuesday 23 August 2011

Not Quite O.C.D.

This is not a new revelation, it is something I've been aware of for a very long time. Occasionally I will come across a situation were I'm reassured of this particular behaviour though. Every one of us have some compulsions (obsessive compulsive features) which they may or may not even be aware of. I'm definitely not at the level of being diagnosed with obsessive compulsive disorder but I have more (I hesitate to add the word many but it's probably accurate) compulsions than the average person. Thankfully, non of which effect my quality of life or anything like that and I hope they never do.

So every night and every morning I go through the same routine. This in itself is not unusual but there's more. I actually take a little bit of pride in the fact that I carry everything I need for the night up to bed and back down in the morning for the day. It's nice to do something for myself, unassisted once in a while. Every night I pack my bag, a small purse/messenger bag, to carry upstairs with me. When I reach my room I unpack everything so that it is easily accessible in the night. It was last night that I actually stopped part way through unpacking and recognized another compulsion of mine.

I place my 3 bottles of pills in the same order on my desk each night. Followed by my cell phone beside them, closest to the clock. My glass of water (for the pills) goes on the other side. My e-reader goes on the floor between my bed and desk and leans up against the edge of the desk. On the nights where I have a cooler of ice packs for my foot, which let's face it has been every night for the last little while, it goes beside my desk always facing the same way. I do the same thing in the morning as well. Pack everything up, usually placed in my bag in the same position, and bring it downstairs. Then it is unpacked at my spot on the couch and set in its "place".

Do you think I'm weird yet? I know it sounds like extra work, reading it back after typing it I even think it sounds like extra work, but it's not. I don't think about it as I do it. I put things in their "place" automatically and so really it takes exactly the same amount of time, effort and thought as it would for you to unpack the same bag of things. Mine will just be more organized in the end ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment