Monday 8 August 2011

The Grass Is Always Greener

This weekend I went to an all day, outdoor festival. Being able to get out and do something "normal" felt really good. Not to mention this event has become somewhat of an annual tradition amongst my group of friends so I was pretty excited to be able to attend again this year, even with everything that has gone on. I did have to make some adjustments, such as going in a wheelchair, but for the most part it was just like any other year.

It was a hot and very humid day. Our group, along with many other festival goers, spent much of the day in the shade of some trees. Halfway through the day, about the time the heat was really getting to everyone, another group of people came and sat in the shade next to me. I could hear them saying things like, "oh it feels so good to sit" and just sighing with relief as they sat on the grass. It made me laugh a little. At that moment I would have loved to have stood up and walked around for a bit. Not only was I getting sore from sitting but my legs and back were extra hot from the wheelchair padding. Yes technically it was my choice to use the wheelchair instead of my crutches but I wouldn't have lasted more than an hour or two on them.

Overall it was a great day so I can't complain but the saying "the grass is always greener on the other side" seems to fit. If you're sitting all day, all you want to do is stand up. Walking all day, all you want to do is sit down. We're never happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment