Wednesday 7 March 2012

Champagne Week Continued

I love celebrating my birthday. Dinner the day of is fun but I always look forward to having a big celebration with all my friends on the weekend. This year was no different. Except maybe that I was even more excited to have a big celebration. This was going to be a party to celebrate turning 27. A celebration to make up for not going out last year. And to celebrate 8 months since my surgery / being "cancer free" (although still not medically accurate to say). This would really be my first big night out since everything began a year and a half ago.

My friends had a cake for me that said "Happy More Than A Birthday" because they knew the party was for much more than just my birthday. Unfortunately I had no idea what the cake said when I first tried to read it. There were so many words to fit in. But I thought it was really sweet once I knew what it said. They also had another personalized t-shirt made for me which I LOVE! I had one of the greatest nights ever. I had tons of people come out from several different circles of friends. Some friends who I've only know for a couple months, others who I've known for many years, and a couple I hadn't actually seen in close to 5 years. Every person that came out on Saturday added to one very unforgettable night for me.

It was hard to believe I was finally out celebrating. Months earlier, back in October or November, I was making a list of "everyday life" goals with my physiotherapist. I added to that list that I'd like to be able to go out and have a couple drinks while still being able to walk with my crutches by the end of February for my birthday. It had seemed so far away at the time.

It was a bit of a challenge to move around the bar once it filled up. My friends were great when it came to leading the way and clearing a path for me so I could get through. They had to be a little more forceful with some people who just weren't paying attention but I was never bothered by it or by anyone that bumped into me. I'm sure I would have been just as oblivious to "the girl on crutches" if the roles were reversed. I always made someone come with me to the washroom because you had to go down a flight of stairs to get to them. I got an offer from a guy to carry me up the stairs the one time but obviously declined. I couldn't see that being any safer than me doing them myself. It was entertaining how many random strangers came up to me throughout the night and told me what a trooper I was or how awesome it was that I was out on crutches. None of them knew that crutches weren't anything new to me and it wasn't like I could just postpone the celebration until I was off the crutches in a couple weeks. I've accepted them as part of who I am and I'm not going to alter more things in my life than I have to.

I lasted the entire night. Right until the bar was closing. I even spent part of the night on the dance floor (dancing as best I could).  I never got too tried, which I had been a little worried about. I think I was too exciting and having too much fun to think about my arms or left leg getting tired or sore. The difference one year can make is absolutely incredible. Last year I spent the night in with my close girlfriends and after a couple hours of sitting around chatting, I was absolutely exhausted. Fast forward a year and I can stay out all night even on crutches. Some people wonder how I can be so happy and positive all the time. It's because, in my books, life is really good right now.

1 comment:

  1. I love absolutely everything about this entry! I'm so glad that you had such a great day - you totally deserve it!

    Hadpy mllore tlkhan a bilkghthdouay! :) (kinda looks like your cake did right?)

    ReplyDelete