Wednesday 7 March 2012

Champagne Week

Last Monday I turned 27 on the 27th, making it my champagne birthday. I wasn't just excited for this birthday because it's my favourite number. I was really excited for the simple fact I was able to celebrate my birthday, unlike last year. Turning 27 also seems extra special because I am now an age that has no direct association to cancer. Years from now when looking back on different times in my life, 25 will always be the year I was diagnosed with cancer. 26 is how old I was when I fought most of my battle with cancer and underwent surgery. Now 27, the focus is on physiotherapy and getting my life back to normal. A much more enjoyable chapter in my life.

Every year my girlfriends and I get together to watch the Oscars. This year it fell on the night before my birthday. They didn't just do one thing but several different things to make the night extra special for me. Not only were all the snacks a selection of all my favourite candies and treats, they also made cupcakes and dessert squares. There was champagne to celebrate it being my champagne birthday. And maybe most unexpected of all, they even invited another one of my close friends (from "outside" this group of friends), who all but one of them had not met before. I felt spoiled and unbelievable lucky to have such amazing friends and it wasn't even officially my birthday yet.

We were all heading home just minutes before midnight. At about 12:02am, February 27th, I thought to myself "this birthday is already better than last year." And I wasn't even basing that on the past 5-6 hours, just the last 2 minutes that had passed. It only continued to get better from there.

My birthday was on a Monday so naturally I had physiotherapy that day.  This is where my very unhealthy day began (although it actually started with the night before). My therapist made grasshopper pie for me. Oh so sweet and oh so delicious! We all had a piece before I did any physio. As I was finishing up my session, the girls from the front desk came back and surprised me with cupcakes. Homemade yes, but if you didn't know it you'd swear they were purchased at a bakery. They were so perfect looking and tasted just as good. One of the other physiotherapist at the clinic wanted to get me a drink to go along with my cupcake. I don't drink coffee and everyone knows my love of Pepsi, so she went next door to get me a can of pop. Definite sugar high. But wait, I still had to finish my cardio. So I got back on the Elliptical with my pop. I figure you're allowed to be unhealthy on your birthday.

This was just the start of my very delicious day. After physio my friend took me out for a late lunch. I ate until I couldn't possibly eat another bite. She dropped me off on her way back to work and I was home for about an hour. At which point I headed back out to meet up with two different friends for dinner. Sitting on the streetcar on my way to meet them I just kept thinking, "oh my gosh, I'm so full." I already knew what I would order when I got there. I had picked the restaurant based partially on the specific meal I wanted to eat that night. The good thing about this was I had picked something completely different for lunch. Surprisingly, when our meals came I ate most of mine without a second thought.

Back at home I made myself comfy on the couch and turned on the TV. I was way too full to attempt anything else. Or even move. Not long after arriving home I got a call from my friend who had already taken me out for lunch. She was parked outside. The "crazy" girl had something else for me for my birthday that she'd forgotten to give me earlier. She ran it in because I'm obviously terrible at carrying things and not the fastest when it comes to running out to meet someone. She had to take off so I opened the present after she left. Nightmare and wish come true all at the same time. Four different types of cookies. I resisted opening any of them that night as there was no possible way I could fit even one bite of a cookie into my stomach without severe discomfort. It didn't take me long to break into a bag the next day though. I've yet to finish them all. It doesn't help that I received homemade cookies in the mail from another friend two days later too.

I think my birthday can be summed up as the day of food. I think everyone is in on the plan to fatten me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment