Thursday 29 March 2012

Gooooaaaalllllll ...Post

This past weekend our sledge hockey season came to an end. We had one last practice Saturday before our final game on Sunday. Unfortunately we lost the game but had a lot of fun despite the outcome. Unlike our last game, there were two other females playing on our team this time. In the third period our coaches put the three of us on the same line together, all as forwards. It was actually a fantastic line.There was great communication between us and some great passing. We played and treated each other as equals, which not all the players do, and by doing so our shifts had some great momentum. By far my favourite line of the season.

While on with the girls I even had a shot on net. I came so close to scoring my first goal but it went off the post. Do to the direction and speed I came into the shot with, I actually ended up in the net after the shot. There just wasn't enough room or time to stop or get around the net. I did manage to avoid the goalie at least. My intention was not to take him out. I really hadn't planned to end up in the net though either. I didn't actually know I had hit the post until we came off and one of the girls mentioned that I'd hit it. It was nice to know I hadn't missed entirely. You know what? After only playing for 10 weeks, I'll take a shot hitting the goal post. Of course it would have been amazing if I'd scored in my first season but I'm still pretty proud.

To conclude the season we also had an awards party. I was given the "Spirit Award". Seems pretty fitting.

I fully intend to play again next season but have yet to decide if I will try out for the Rep Team or play on the Select Team again. Either way I have a couple months to decide. I'm looking forward to playing the entire season next year instead of joining halfway through.

Now to find a new sport to try this spring/summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment