Wednesday 21 March 2012

Taking My Life Back: Step 241

What is Step 241?
Going back to work.

Why is it Step 241?
My first day back to work came 241 days after my final discharge from the hospital (following my stay post surgery). I figure "Taking My Life Back: Step 1" was the day I was discharged. Every single day since I've been working towards taking my life back. Some days stand out more than others but every moment, no matter how small, has been fighting towards the same goal.

When you are diagnosed with cancer, you aren't given a choice. It's this major life change you have no control over. You have this new "way of life" you have to just go with. Getting your life back to normal is a different story. It's all up to you. It's not just going to happen by itself or overnight. It's a conscious decision you have to make every day until your life is back to the way you want it. The way it should be. This is why I've said taking my life back and not getting my life back. You have to make it happen.

Work yesterday was good. Thanks to the gradual return to work plan I only had to go in for 4 hours. I spent the first 2 hours being caught up on everything that had changed in our department since I left 16 months ago. For the remaining 2 hours I started learning the new program we use for nearly everything now. I have several more hours of training to go on that. I couldn't help but start yawning after about 3 hours of being there. It's the longest I've had to pay attention or concentrate on anything in over a year.

I was tired out by the end of the 4 hours but it wasn't too bad. My tailbone was quite sore though. Without my right sitting bone, my tailbone now takes a lot of the pressure and weight when I'm sitting. Having to sit properly in a chair for hours on end is going to be my biggest challenge returning to work. Arms and tailbone were still a bit sore today, more than usual, but nothing too extreme.

Thank you to my amazing girlfriends who sent me "good luck on your 1st day back to work" flowers and card. Unfortunately I couldn't come up with a way to carry them home with me so I put them out in the common work space to brighten up the place. Before leaving I told one of my co-workers he was in charge of making sure they were still alive on Friday, when I'll be in for my next 4 hour day.

1 comment:

  1. I am SO proud of you Jen! I'm glad the first week went well! Happy 5-hour work week ahead! :) xo

    ReplyDelete